MGX-42 Machine Gun
"The MGX-42 is a magazineless, one-use, disposable machine gun designed to be discarded after having fired its ammunition. The 300 rounds of caseless ammunition are stacked in the multiple barrels and fired electronically making the weapon almost void of mechanical parts and cheap to manufacture."
- Armory Description
Stratagem Code[edit | edit source]
Players must enter the following sequence, using the controller d‑pad, in order to call down this single-use Stratagem during a mission:
Unlock Requirement[edit | edit source]
The MGX-42 Machine Gun is unlocked by completing a level 13 Bug planet.
Upgrades[edit | edit source]
|Mk1||Basic variant, no upgrades.|
|Mk2||3||This upgraded version has an improved fire rate.|
|Mk3||5||This upgraded version has tighter packed charges allowing for more ammunition.|
Weapon Stats[edit | edit source]
- The base version has a 300-round capacity (400 when fully upgraded).
- When emptied, the MGX-42 will be automatically discarded by the Helldiver using it. It cannot be reloaded.
|MGX-42 Machine Gun Detailed Analysis|
|Weapon Info||Additional Notes|
|Unlock Rank||Difficulty 13 Bug planet|
|Weapon Category||Machine Gun|
|Fire Mode||Full-auto (Disposable)|
|Center Mass Damage||110||110|
|AP Ammo Armor Reduction||0||0|
|Cyclic Rate of Fire (RPM)||1300||1800*||* Requires Mk2 upgrade|
|Capacity||300||400†||† Requires Mk3 upgrade|
|Reload Speed||N/A||N/A||Disposable weapon|
|Min Spread||2°||2°||Starts with Max Spread|
|Max Spread||6°||6°||Starts with Max Spread|
|Spread Increase per Shot||-0.40°||-0.40°||Becomes more accurate with sustained fire|
|Max Range||30 m||30 m|
|Bullet Spread Simulation||todo|
Gameplay Tips[edit | edit source]
- The MGX-42 is unlike all other ballistic weapons in that it cannot be reloaded and must be recalled from orbit when fully emptied like the EAT-17 and REC-6 Demolisher. It fills the unique role of on-demand anti-personnel fire and is capable of clear-cutting entire groups of enemies at once, emptying its entire upgraded 400 round magazine in just under 14 seconds with its Mk 3 rate of fire upgrade. It can be considered a side-grade to the MG-94 Machine Gun, offering the same damage per bullet coupled with a unrivaled rate of fire, high accuracy, and a very generous magazine in exchange for zero firing mobility and what is effectively a 120 second reload in the form of a cooldown timer.
- Due to the high rate of fire and lengthy cooldown, Helldivers are advised to bring either Stratagem Priority or multiple MGX-42 Stratagems if they wish to use it in place of a primary weapon.
- The MGX-42 is unusual compared to most weapons in that its accuracy starts out low but increases during prolonged firing, rather than starting accurate and decaying. In this way, it is similar to the lower-caliber MG-105 Stalwart light machine gun and the MG-94 Machine Gun general purpose machine gun.
- Unlike the fully-upgraded MG-94, the MGX-42 cannot be fired on the move.
- The MGX-42 is a safer alternative to the MG-94 to bring on higher level missions as the risk of losing the weapon after dying or falling into pits and lava is nullified by the ability to call down more from orbit. Dying often and retreating from combat will often rob divers of a newly called-down MGX and force them to wait for the cooldown to end. Like the EAT-17 and REC-6, it is advised to only call down this Stratagem after deploying, while defending objectives, or during extraction to minimize this risk.
- MGX-42 will never disappear after a few minutes unlike the Demolisher. MGX-42 will still disappear however if it is not picked up from the Hellpod it came in.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The MGX-42 was introduced in the free content update A New Hell, released on Liberty Day 2018.
- During beta testing for the new update, the MGX-42 was codenamed the "Storm". This is likely a reference to the US military's "Metal Storm" weapon.
|Sidearms||Assault rifles||LMGs||Shotguns||SMGs||Precision||Explosive||Laser tech||Arc tech|
|P-2 Peacemaker||AR-19 Liberator||MG-105 Stalwart♦||SG-225 Breaker||SMG-45 Defender||LHO-63 Camper♦||CR-9 Suppressor♦||LAS-5 Scythe||AC-3 Arc Thrower|
|P-6 Gunslinger♦||AR-22C Patriot||SG-8 Punisher||MP-98 Knight SMG||RX-1 Rail Gun||PLAS-1 Scorcher♦||LAS-16 Sickle♦||AC-5 Arc Shotgun♦|
|FLAM-24 Pyro♦||AR-20L Justice||DBS-2 Double Freedom||SMG-34 Ninja♦||M2016 Constitution||LAS-12 Tanto♦|
|PLAS-3 Singe♦||AR-14D Paragon♦||LAS-13 Trident|