The Impaler is a very different threat compared to the other bugs, it burrows its head in the ground, and tunnels its tentacles so that they burst from the ground in close proximity to its target. The tentacles are very dangerous but the creature also exposes a weakpoint when burrowing them, something that implies a lack of self-preservation.
Tactics[edit | edit source]
- Predominately found on medium to high level planets, Impalers emerge from underground, normally alone, wherever Scouts or Vanguards have raised an alarm to warn of a Helldiver's presence.
- Impalers are the only bug unit that does not need to close to melee range in order to engage Helldivers in combat, instead using their three tentacles to attack players from considerable range. Just two swipes are enough to kill a Helldiver, but damaging the tentacles will cause the Impaler to withdraw them back to itself. Dealing significant damage to the body will cause it to retract all tentacles, as does stunning the body. The tentacles ignore stunning effects, however. Any damage done to the Impaler's tentacles (even the toxins from the TOX-13 Avenger or Mk3 M-25 Rumbler) does not transfer to its main body.
- With some practice, it is possible to identify exactly where the Impaler is located if only its tentacles are on-screen. If the Impaler is close to the tentacles, they will be clumped together; if it is farther away they will be spread out. The orange side of the tentacles is the one facing away from the Impaler.
- Anti-tank stratagems (such as the MLS-4X Commando or Close Air Support) are required to damage the Impaler's thick armor although conventional weapons can instead be used to attack the creature's large weak spot which is exposed for as long as the Impaler is attacking with its tentacles.
- Like the Bug Tank, the Impaler is vulnerable to damage from flame weaponry, even if the damage it actually takes is relatively low. Weapons like the Mk3 DBS-2 Double Freedom, Mk3 PLAS-1 Scorcher, Mk3 Obliterator Grenade Launcher, FLAM-24 Pyro, FLAM-40 Incinerator, and the Incendiary Grenades Perk are all capable of damaging an Impaler.
- While the Double Freedom shotgun and the Pyro and Incinerator flamethrower weapons can set fire to a Bug Impaler, they must hit its exposed front to ignite it succesfully.
Notes[edit | edit source]