The Grotesques are as the name implies, very grotesque. Believed to be Initiates fallen in battle, too wounded to recover, regrown into mindless beasts capable only of rushing headlong against the enemy.
A true testament to the vile nature of the Cyborgs, killing them is doing them a favor, ending their non-life.
Tactics[edit | edit source]
- Predominately found on medium to high level planets, Grotesques are transported onto the battlefield inside IFVs or airdropped onto the planet surface, normally in groups of three to five, wherever 'Squadleader' Soldiers or Infantry Fighting Vehicles have raised an alarm to warn of a Helldiver's presence. IFVs will periodically disgorge several Grotesques if not destroyed.
- After spawning, Grotesques will close to melee range and engage players in combat where several rapid strikes from their claws are enough to down a Helldiver. The speed of their attacks and the fact they often appear in significant numbers can make Grotesques a dangerous enemy for an unwary Helldiver who allows them to get too close. Trying to kill a Grotesque in melee combat without a bayonet is considered a suicidal move in most cases.
- Grotesques have no long-range capabilities and are vulnerable to area-of-effect weapons and Stratagems (such as the DBS-2 Double Freedom, AC-3 Arc Thrower or FLAM-40 Incinerator) due to their tendency to cluster together.
- Because of their small size, it can be hard to hit Grotesques with precision weapons. However, they have no armor to speak of and shots to their center mass will down them surprisingly quickly.
- Their small size and short melee-range permits a player using the SH-32 Directional Kinetic Shield to block Grotesques with their shield and keep them at bay without taking any damage, so long as they don't get surrounded by them.
- Grotesques will most likely charge you in a small group (5 to 6), if you throw the Grenade perfectly you can take them all in one go.
Notes[edit | edit source]